My Fish Curry or what I dare call Fish Masala Kari


I saw Chef's Table featuring Chef Gaggan Anand who had a successful Indian menu tasting restaurant in Thailand. From that feature, I learned that "curry" is not Indian. Further reading led me to understand that the term curry is of British origin as it was coined to refer to Indian spices, and the term must come from the Tamil word, "kari" which means sauce.

I cooked my fish last weekend using turmeric powder and fresh ginger and dashes of paprika. My mother asked me what's the difference between curry and turmeric. Thanks to my earlier education on this that I was able to explain that CURRY refers to a blend of spices, usually turmeric, coriander, chili, ginger, and black pepper while TURMERIC refers to a single spice. I also learned that "masala" is the correct Indian term for the "mixed spices."

Actually, what I love about my curried fish is the coconut milk. I feel rich in savoring goodness in life through coconut milk. Profound bliss. Surreal experience. Just sublime. 

Fish Curry or I dare call it, Fish in Masala Kari

Oil
garlic, minced
Onion, minced
Ginger, minced
1 kilo fish slices
Coconut milk,  1st and 2nd liquid
Turmeric powder
Paprika powder
4 chilis
Salt
Spring onions, to garnish

Put a small amount of hot water in the ground coconut flesh, press and set aside liquid, this is the 1st liquid about half-cup. For thd 2nd liquid, add two cups of hot water. Press and set aside liquid, about 2 cups. 

In a wok, put oil, add garlic, onions and ginger until transluscent, spread in the wok and arrange the fish in the surface of the wok. Cover for 3 minutes over medium fire. Add the 2nd liquid press of coconut milk. Add the turmeric powder and paprika powder. Add chilis. Cover again for 10 minutes. 

Add the 1st liquid press of coco milk. Adjust taste with salt. Cover again for another 5 to 10 minutes. 

Remove from fire and garnish with spring onions. Serve with rice.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*