My Mongo Sprouted to two inches, at last!


Constant practice makes perfect. Hunger is the mother of kitchen innovations. Try and try and eat all you tried. These are some kitchen wisdom one can wield while doing some expwriments. We sprout mongo here but it is not as long as two inches as those used by the Vietnamese in their Pho. We only have a day or two of soaked mongo and we remove the outer skin one by one. Ours is what we put in our fried lumpia.

I love sprouted mongo because it has high Vitamin C content and I want to prove a point among people who bwlittle our humble bean because it causes their arthritis. Well, this protein rich bean do mot have skin anymore, so arthritis is not going to work here even after eating it for three meals.

We can add this to our pansit, stirfried beef or chicken, omellette, ukoy, soup and many more. I can also eat it as is as its taste and crispness remind me of singkamas. 

Well, my secret in achieving the length is in the basket I used and the allowance for the roots to go down.
Day 2

First day AM: Soak about 1/4 kilo mongo in water. Change water in the evening.

Day3

Second day: Change water in the AM. In the PM, I used two perforated trays as base for my mongo. I laid paper towels first before l spread the mongo on each tray. I covered it with wet cloth or handtowel. I set the tray in a cookie tin sheet and I placed an icecream container lid to separate the tray from tin so that there can be a breather. I placed just enough water on the cookie tin.
My invention

Third day, AM Sprinkle a cup of water on two trays. Refill the water in the cookie tin as the bean absorbs this. To keep flies and other insect, I place a chopping board on top to cover the tray. PM, sprinkle a cup of water and refill the cookie tin. 
How it looks underneath

Fourth Day, AM  Do the same thing as yesterday. PM, harvest or let it stay for another day. 

    Day4 before harvest

Last tip: Just place the trays in the area of your kitchen that is cool and with less traffic during the day. The darkness in the cloth is enough and the wood chopping board will be enough cover for coolness. Putting weight on it won't help or putting it somewhere dark place. I've been there and tried them all. Next time, i'll post the anti oxidant benefits of sprouted mungbeans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*