Big Night feels like it's just a recent film

BIG NIGHT (1996) is what I had been looking for: a balance visual exposures of the food and the story. Everyone will love Italian brothers Primo and Secondo who have deep respect for Italian cooking but in crisis as there seems to be a need to compromise it for the business side of it. They need to prepare a dinner party for a guest who will help make their restaurant a success and their American dream come true.

There are two scenes that sent me burstinf with laughter. At the beginning, Primo refuses to make the order of the woman. She ordered seafood risotto then she was looking for the seafoods, then she asked whether her order comes with a sides of Spaghetti. Primo explained that they don't go together and so she order spaghetti with meatballs. Primo explained that sometimes the spaghetti wants to be left alone, and the man suggested she order meatballs. Secondo relayed the starchy orders and Primo declined and shouted, she's a criminal. I laughed hard. I can really see Primo who accepts paintings for eating his food.

Then in one scene in the middle of the movie, Primo learned that it was the Italian businessman who is friends with the guest of honor for the big night. He was furious and shrieked, Rape! Rape! Referring to how the guy does with Italian cooking in his own resto. Another big laugh for me.

I liked the convo ofthe brothers where S corrected P that it cannot rain inside, it must be outside. P insisted that it can rain inside... It's a very clever convo. Oh, I love the script!

Primo on his Italian way of cooking and educating people about it: If I leave what I do, it dies.

I wish there exists a sequel.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*