Classic Food Films: Babette's Feast and Tampopo with 1 wild card movie


Babette's Feast (1987) is a classic Danish film featuring French dishes after a long wait for that feast to happen. I was not able to snap some lines I liked ( just quoting as I remembered):

"No artist is poor."

"I will leave forever and will not return. I learned that in this world, there are things that are impossible" he spoke of pursuing his love  Then 25 years after, the man returned and on his way asked "Will the rows of all victories in the past become a sum of defeat now?"

While eating in the feast, he declared that we make choices, we risk, we fear but in the end our choices is unimportant because grace is infinite, unconditional."

"Righteousness and bliss shall kiss each other."

Before leaving again, he said "You are with me every day, I hope you know that, and you will be with me for the rest of my waking hours."

In this film, one sees that food can be a vehicle for renewing relationship, assessing faith, pursuing a purpose in life.

*** 

Tampopo (1985) is a Japanese film  that visually explores the roles of food in our mortal lives - our different sensual and sensous experiences about and surrounding food - before life finally ends with some flashbacks of our lives just like the movie scenes.

I grabbed this web photo of the scene from Tampopo, the name of the heroine and means Dandelion, because I liked her facial expressions here while waiting for the four to finish their bowls and give their verdict.

It's a joy to watch despite the years had passed. No aching try to be a comedy but it is funny, and all scenes are clever.

Food is something that make us experience life too. And Tampopo makes me want to try to make my own noodles and broth. Slurrrp!

***

Margarita with a Straw (2014) is a well-casted and well acted Indian production film about a cerebral palsy girl who explores her sexuality and ended up discovering what it means to be a woman. I just really liked the ending scene, it's a powerful statement through the visuals, and the line from Rumi. 

No cooking or mixing of drinks here but I was ensnared by the title. And just sharing my snaps here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*