Lacto-fermenting carrots for my lunchbox side dish


I tried lacto fermenting these slender carrots I bought from the wet market last week and I am enjoyong them after about a week, 3 days in the cool room temperature with partially opened lid, and 3 days in the fridge. It's still crunchy with a mild tanginess, not sourness there. I added it as my side dish on top of my kimchi in my lunchbox today. I was so happy. I love slender carrots for its taste and I avoid the big ones though everyone loves those for being so big and there's an economy in the effort of peeling them. But not me.

For this lacto fermentation, here are the highlights:

Sterilize glass jars and use clean water

Weight of carrots multiplied by 2.5% for the weight of salt then add water. That is 25g for every 1000g carrots. 

Water should be beyond the carrot's level in the glass jar. 

Bubbles appear and they are carbon dioxide and just a natural formation.

Only healthy bacteria thrives in the solution and that is what we need for a healthier food.

Shall try other veges as well. 

See you more in my posts like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*