Pahagunong (Book 4 Epics of Panay)



So I was able to advance to the 4th book and I was even surprised that I have no blog entry on Amburukay, the hilarious amburukay whose golden pubic hair was stolen and was made a string to a musical instrument. Well, I always write something right after I read or watch something because I will surely forget what were my thoughts. So I am writing about the Panay Bukidnon's 4th book i the epics of Panay series called Pahagunong.

Well, so far, this is the difficult to read through the end book of the four I had read. And the one with no concrete ending. I believe because, this is an intro to the fifth book, Kalampay. We'll see. 


I won't retell the story here as it has one interesting twist and actually the heart of the whole book.

After reading the four books, I just wished there is a better Filipino and English Translation, one that gives some effort to capture the Kinaray-a and I wished there is consistency in the footnoting, especially in defining some terms because the definition is sporadic. The method they employed was to put a table of original lines and three translations from Bukidnon/Archaic Kinaray-a to Contemporary Kinaray-a, Filipino and English, and since they were not telling it as a whole story but line by line, I wished they did some good translation of every line rather than doing some Filipino or English translation that deviates from original words just to give some spice to the story.

At any rate, it is a good resource to our oral tradition as it was put in writing and made available to us. Thank you UP Press. Check my older post to get idea on how to order.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*