Kinilaw

My friends and I decided to cook every sunday of August and FOR OUR NATIONAL HEROES DAY COOK-OFF today, I CHOSE KINILAW. I would like to think that our prehistoric cooking includes the KINILAW because we already have vinegar (we have coconut wine, remember?) and we are surely rich with fish (we are an archipelago, right?). I want to imagine that Lapu-Lapu and everyone before him liked to eat kinilaw. I tried researching and to my dismay, the Visayan entry in the Boxer Codex says that there is nothing interesting in cooking because the meals we had then is composed of boiled rice and dried fish. I'm not sure which Visayan area they landed but I wished they stayed on more to see variety in our prehistoric dishes and record them. If dried fish existed then, I'm sure the fresh fish is abundantly cooked and eaten too.

I also chose this dish because my father always prepares this when he was still around but he uses small fishes and debones them one by one. 

Since I only have blue marlin, I tried preparing a slab of it as kinilaw for pre-tasting and it worked out. 

Btw, Kinilaw is mainly made of fresh fish steeped in vinegar and then eaten. It came from the word "Kilaw" refer to anything eaten like fish and vegetables and dipped in vinegar. 8.2.2020

Here is how to prepare a Kinilaw
#BlueMarlin cubed
#acv #applecidervinegar 
#chili #peanuts #ginger #whiteonions #cucumber #tomatoes all chopped
#blackpepper #salt to taste

Steep cubed Blue Marlin in vinegar for 30 mnutes. Prepare other ingredients. Drain the fish. Add all ingredients including fesh batch of acv. Let steep more in fridge before serving. Serve chilled and as side dish.

#kinilaw #nationalheroesday #cookingforheroes #Philippines

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*