Green Food: Gardening in times of Pandemic


My friend and I has been discussing about what we should be planting in our gardens now that the pandemic seems to stay for another six months. We were both entertaining the idea of ditching our ornamental plants which took up spaces in our garden. 

She is raising and harvesting patola and guayabano now. She also enjoyed her tambis earlier this year. All of that aside from her usual greens of camote tops, alugbati or malvar spinach and others. My friend is one of the lucky few who left Hubei province with clean bill of health at the time when China struggled with the COVID19 outbreak.

My friend lamented that she does not have money now and she has to go to the city proper to have her RMB changed but going to the city proper is getting scarier each day. She was happy the other day because she sold her patola and raised P180 pesos. I suggested that she sell her ornamentals or barter them with seeds of food plants. She entertained the idea right away since it seems that the pandemic will still be around for another six months. 

As for my garden, I will be setting up a greenhouse at the back of my house and have a reading and picnic nook beside my house under the sarisa tree. I merged my SPECKS birthday projects because of the unexpected and unwelcome arrival of COVID19. 

In the meantime, I have my herbs garden after I had my landscaping staple Pandakaki and ornamental grasses move out and get adopted by a friend.

Labog or roselle

My sweet basil which I plan to be the source for my seed bank

My rocket salad, evergrowing 

My shotgun cucumber which provides us with a daily crunch, my current apple of my eyes

My nursery in the meantime

My promising calamansi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*