Farming Fairies Diary: My Ginger Story


MY GINGER STORY. If you go to the wetmarket often, one realizes that ginger prices go up and down. But ginger can't be preserved except through powder form but I love it fresh. It is one important spice that can do magic to a simple dish from Visayan "pinamalhan" or fish stew in vinegar and soysauce to any curry dish. Thus, it helps to have them in handy. 

I just harvested mine yesterday and others will be harvested as next batch. It is harvest time when the leaves are yellowing and wilting. The new shoots have new standing stem ready to shed leaves and they should be planted again. I have 10 new shoots yesterday after harvesting the biggest tuber. The tip is, ginger should be planted in a sandy area so that its rhizome can freely roam underneath, and also it would be easy to harvest when the soil is loose and not clayish. 

This is one travel I want to take - food gardening - and I am learning a lot. 

#farmingfairiesdiary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*