Farming Fairies Diary: Tales about my ambition of having a tomato farm


MY #TOMATO STORY. Beware of what you asked for. I was intrigued by tomatoes and chilipeppers. They are the kind which does not grow where you want them to be. They thrive in places where I don't want them to be. So it's my dream to have plots of them.  I plotted tomatoes and potted some. (Chili pepper will be on another post). I asked for tomatoes and a friend sent me mixed seeds of heirloom tomatoes. Now, I am mothering a lot of them. 


They are nutrient hungry and they need care from pests. Every two weeks, I gather the eggshells we saved to turn them into calcium phosphate. The pests kill the leaves, the fungus must have wilted the healthy ones. The resilient varieties thrived and fruited well. I feel rewarded each time I pick some cherry tomato and pop them in my mouth. I have a lot to learn but since I asked for this, I am determined to grow them. 

Peach and Oval or grape-shaped tomatoes

#farmingfairiesdiary #urbangardening #heirloomtomatoes #gardening #garden 

This is the new batch of cherry tomato which bore fruit in a very short time from planting. Farm Fairy Anne sent them to me from Malaysia where she also set up her condofarm and has lots of leafy goods.

The chocolate tomatoes

My love for tomatoes must be ingrained in me already. I was surprised when my aunt cited me as an example to her grandchildren when they ask for friedchicken and ignore vegetables.  "Wala gid kamo kasunod kay manang niyo nga gabalon asin sa bulsa niya kag mag urab sang kamatis sa garden." (You did not follow on the step of your elder cousin who brings salt in her pocket and eat freshly picked tomatoes from our garden then."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*