My Pear and Apple Pie in the City of Angels

AS FOURTH POST FOR THE #foodflixflex which my friends and I will be doing this September to celebrate food and cinema, I present you my My Pear and Apple Pie in the City of Angels.

If others have a theme song in their lives, I have a theme movie in my life and it is called City of Angels. I wanted it to be A walk in the Clouds but I just have to give the spot to COA given the storyline. COA has all the factors of being a classic movie given the actors, the script, the storyline, the directing. It is a love story and a celebration of our mortality. Who would not feel loved when an angel gave up his mortality for a human?

Okay, there is nothing about pie in that movie but it definitely captured me with something about pear, a favorite fruit of mine. It goes:

Seth: What's that like? What's it taste like? Describe it like Hemingway.
Maggie: Well, it tastes like a pear. You don't know what a pear tastes like?
Seth: I don't know what a pear tastes like to you.
Maggie: Sweet, juicy, soft on your tongue, grainy like a sugary sand that dissolves in your mouth. How's that?
Seth: It's perfect.

I wanted to taste all pear varieties and as of the moment, I liked the small greenish fragrant variety. My love affair with pear started when my jaw got tired munching the crunchy apple. Pear is soft and refreshing to the mouth. Yes, it is grainy (the Korean and Chinese/Asian pears) but its subtle sweetness (esp of Fragrant pear) reminds me of the delicious juice coming from the sugarcane, its crispness from the singkamas or jicama both familiar to me from childhood.

Not exactly a Hemingway's way of delivering it but I guess that is enough for you to try my new filling.

For Crust, check my entry on Apple Pie
https://footandfire.blogspot.com/2020/08/gerlies-super-easy-apple-pie.html?m=1

Pear and Apple Filling mixture

1T cinnamon
Pinches of ginger powder
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp flour
3 small apples, cubed or sliced thinly
2 medium pear, cubed or sliced thinly

In a bowl, mix first four ingredients. Simmer in low fire for 10 minutes. When done, remove from fire and fold in the bowl of sliced pears and apples. Set aside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*