Chicken Feet and Fish Cake Chili Caramel Stew


MY FIRST POST FOR #foodflixflex2020 is ONE FORGETTABLE K MOVIE AND UNFORGETTABLE CHICKEN FEET SCENE. Well, I just got lucky for having gotten hold of fish cake, a Korean streetfood delicacy which has a Japanese origin (fish cake is Odeng in Korea is Oden in Japanese) which is like a fish ball to ours. The Koreans prefers to use Eomuk as part of preserving their own language.

My brother who facilitated the buying of my fish cake exclaimed that oh, they make fish as cake? Okay, he was not being funny, as he really thought it was like a birthday cake with fish flavor. Well, my househelper asked me why they named it cake, I said, it must be because it's flat like the pancake. 

Well, this would kick-off my first post to my friends' cook-off theme for September featuring cooking and film. Now, I have seen this forgettable Korean movie (the reason why I forgot its title) about a girl who aspires to be a mystery writer but always interferes or get caught up in neighborhood crimes. I just cant forget the scene where the girl ate a lot of chicken feet together with her crush who is a tourist in her neighborhood (Don't do this on your first date, it's a messy foot to crunch on, lol and surely, you'll be starting everything on the wrong foot (pun intended) which ended up the crush to ask himself why a beautiful woman wants to eat a lot of chicken feet. 

Well, Chicken Feet is an asian delicacy which is an influence of Chinese cuisine. We Filipinos call it "adidas." While Chinese liked it steamed, my father cooks it as adobo. So my Chicken Feet has the taste of adobo and saucy chili caramel. I love the accidental sauciness I got because I overwatered the mixture and fixed it the right way and voila, I got me a stew. Too bad, I'm on my half-rice diet but to my advantage, I finished off a total of eight feet, baby.

Here's my recipe

1T Canola oil 
6 cloves Garlic
2 pcs red onions
1 kilo chicken feet, cleaned
Water
Bayleaf
Crushed peppercorns
Vinegar
Soy sauce
2T Chili garlic sauce
2T brown sugar
2 pcs fish cake, cut to triangles
Salt
2T potato starch dissolved in water
Spring onions for garnishing

Saute garlic, onion and chicken feet in oil. Add water. Let boil until feet are cooked. Add the rest of ingredients except the fishcake and let boil until sauce is reduced to half. Add the fishcake. I overwatered mine so I added potato starch to thicken the sauce. Adjust taste with salt. Sprinkle spring onions as garnish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*