Wok of Love and Jajangmyeon, anyone?


THIS IS A SECOND POST FOR OUR #Foodflixflex which my friends and I will be doing to celebrate cinema and food this September. 

A movie should evoke something from us, not just rob us with our time, and we should demand something from it, not just spend our time endlessly. Wok of Love is a romantic comedy but well-acted and the story is well-crafted. The K-drama evokes from us to reevaluate our definition of friendship, and true love. Most of all, Wok of Love evokes our desire to taste Jajangmyeon. 


Jang Hyuk is so handsome and manly in this tv drama and he often winked at me while I was watching. I saw him in Windstruck but he was not that good actor yet there. Having seen him in the Empire of Lust and Wok of Love, he sure perfected his craft of acting. The lady who acted in this film is Jung Ryeo-won and actually I liked her too, and remembered her from Kim Sam Soon. Well, forget about the very neat fair red-lipped leading man because for me, he was the supporting actor. I also liked the the cast of supporting roles. Overall, the Wok of Love story has the warmth of a family found in friendship and a bowl of jajangmyeon.

 
Jajangmyeon is a korean term for noodles with blackbean sauce. Jajang is a Chinese sauce adapted and popularized by koreans for their jajangmyeon. I first tried to eat this in an instant pack, the first one uses a powdered sauce which needs some diluting and I didn't like it as it has this pungent bean odor, and the latest one, I tried again as I gave it a chance to redeem itself from my first impresion, I had the Paldo brand which has a sauce packet already. I think I won't try it again as it was so sweet to my liking. So, I ordered a pack of Jajang which resturants in Korea uses and I season my mix to my taste and I got what I wanted.  

Here is my own Jajangmyeon Recipe: 

3T canola oil
3 medium white onions, small cubes
500g chicken breast, remove bones and cube
2 potatoes, cubed
2 eggplant, cubed
2 carrots, cubed
300g jajang or black bean sauce
3T Brown sugar
Salt
2T potato flour (optional)


Cook  Linguine or any pasta according to package direction. Save water used for boiling.

In a wok, saute white onions in oil until translucent. Add chicken and stri fry. Add a little of saved pasta water. Cover until chicken is tender.

 Add the vegetables and let cook for 10 minutes. In the meantume, place jajang in a bowl, dilute to desired consistency using pasta water. Add to the mixture when the vegetables are cooked. Let boil.

Add sugar and salt to taste.

Dissolve potato flour using pasta water if the sauce is watery.

Serve hot by pouring it over the cooked pasta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*