What's eating me in the Big Apple?


Hahaha! The title is a scam just for fun. I am writing about what I was eating during my month-long vacation in the Big Apple. Well, I can say that I liked what I ate all throughout.  I disliked what I had only on three occasions: I don't like the bread used in the sandwich of Nathan's Cart as well as in The Met cafe. While both are in New York City, the only proper eatery I disliked was in DC where I had Chinese noodles and dumplings in the only-open restaurant at 10 am and the best according to the bills posted on its door. I started this blog with what I didn't like so you won't think that I am no picky eater, and that I have no discriminating palate given that I liked almost everything even the neighborhood Colombian food. Let me group the food I had and let me walk you through the memory lane of my gustatory delight sans the elaborated plating and expensive ambiance.
 
1. ITALIAN

Carnegie Diner and Cafe
Having jet-lag is never good as the appetite picks up slowly along with the body. But once I regained my appetite, I ate a plate of Bolognese Pasta which must be good for three persons. Carnegie Diner and Cafe served pasta so I chose it as I was craving for a good spaghetti and I was not disappointed by its tomato sauce. The salmon (sorry the photo didn't get the salmon right) and hearty serving of vegetables are good too. I didn't get to try the unlimited mimosa though because I was not yet ready. I think I want to go back here to try the drinks!   

Caffe Napoli
Walking through the Little Italy was a treat but when it was time to eat, one could get crazy which cafe to go in. So, I picked the one that is ready to serve us at 11am since most were just preparing to open. I ordered four cheese pizza and puttanesca penne and meatballs. They made me choose between the red and white sangria. I had the white sangria. Before the order arrived, the on-the-house bread steeped in olive oil was already heaven to me. It was a perfect pair to the savory meatballs I ordered. The pizza is so good but the bread has overtaken it by a point. The penne was a bit undercooked by a minute or two. I enjoyed the Sangria which is a simple white wine with large slices of fruits. The complimentary bread was awesome and best paired with saucy meatballs. I'll order another kind of pasta if given the chance to be here next time. 


2. MEXICAN

I wanted to try Mexican food as I always had Colombian food for brunch. I hesitated to come inside at first since it looks like a bar from the outside rather than a restaurant. Located in 181 St and 191 Streets, Taco Inn is worth my try. The menu was all in Mexican so I used little Spanish I had to make a proper order. Chicken (pollo) Burrito and Tamarino Juice (Tamarind).  The Burrito is very tasty with enough sauce, perfectly moistening the chicken and cooked beans and rice inside. It was a big serving.  And the on-the-house nacho was a treat too. I wish I can replicate and bring it here to stop the fried lumpia wrapper they call "nacho" that pops up everywhere. The sauce is freshly made too.


3. CARIBBEAN/AMERICAN

The Simpson Dining Sport Bar
Not prettily photographed because this fine dining was dim-lit in the middle of the day. It was decided to stop and eat here because one was tired (mostly because of this), one needs to eat (which could be done somewhere far ahead) and the other is in the mood for a long walk (Superhuman). The goal that day was to cross the Brooklyn Bridge. The service was so slow here which was a big minus. The salmon and vegetables are good. The chicken jerky is not good, and I won't recommend it. The crab must be good but I guess it is not something one would have if he is on-the-go unless one is buying time to rest a tired feet. The rice with beans is nice too.
 

4. COLOMBIAN FOOD

I fell in love with Colombian food by the time my vacation ended. They serve boiled banana and cassava for breakfast. I tried one banana with beef in it, it was a happy discovery. The black and red soups with beans were tasty and deliciously spiced. I happily ate callos (consists of cow's innards which is very familiar for us Filipinos) here too and the broth they use were not dependent on tomato sauce which we are fond of. I wish I stayed long enough o uncover how they cook theirs. The chicken they use in their chicken soup, roasted or fried ones is also to my liking. I was just learning to mix and match their spaghetti with their own brand of sauce with bellpepper and ketchup in it I think. I fell in love with their orange soda. There were two Colombian Resto I always visit. In the Resto A, I liked the red bean soup but the Colombian Coffee was so strong I have to learn how to ask for more hot water (They all talk to me in Spanish) while in Resto B, I liked their Colombian coffee but I don't rave about their soup. There were lots of photos in my memory card but I just lumped here the representative daily fare.


5. CHINESE/KOREAN/VIETNAMESE

Well, I am guilty of saving the best story for last. Chinese cooking is a favorite. I love soup and noodles as well vegetables. I have already confessed MY TOP THREE BOWLS OF NOODLES IN NY as I can't get over with how memorable the broth of the top one. Check the link for you to know which ones are my favorite! Below are the bowls I had in New York. Dig in...



6. FRUITS, FASTFOOD, COLOMBIAN COFFEE AND TAHO

Of course, the list is never complete without me mentioning the goal I had. To eat a lot of fruits that I could not get hold here in the Philippines. Well, there were still a lot I haven't tried. I had two kinds of pear, I had my favorite peaches, cherries, blackberries, raspberries, fig, plum, and strawberries. I developed a discriminating taste for Colombian Coffee, almost a coffee convert. I also want to have McDonald's pumpkin pie. The Taho in the Filipino restaurant costs $8 and I wanted to eat a lot of it while here. The Five Guys burger is also a nice experience of burger and unli-refill of soda and juices, a culture I rather not adopt/adapt. Starbucks and other coffee shops are highly appreciated for their toilets and wifi and charging stations which one cannot find easily when walking along high-rise buildings! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*