Thirteen "Proof of Life" photos when in New York


If it were just left to me, I would rather either pass by or just want to laze around these thirteen places than have the "mandatory" poses expected of a tourist in these attractions or interesting street stories in New York. But since this is the era of smart phones rather than the expensive film, I did the "proof of life" poses anyway. And why not?

1. STATUE OF LIBERTY -- Happy I did.
Well, I would have settled to take only the photo of the Statue of Liberty because this site should not just be a touristy area proving that one is in New York. For me, it should be a mecca of ideals, that is, the place should remind us about the importance and responsibility of liberty; that we should not neglect it. It is that essence which is often lost or not captured in photos, and must be internalized.      


2. CONEY ISLAND -- Nice that I did.
It is a place to loaf around with lots of food and rides as well as ample kisses from fresh salty breeze. Well, a photo of it after devouring Nathan's hotdogs and burgers won't hurt if you happen to spend time at this fun land often featured in kid's movies.


3. HUDSON YARDS VESSEL -- Felt so-so that I did.
This pretty building is supposed to be for climbing up to the top but because of the number of suicide incidents since its opening, it was closed to public. So this one with my smiling "proof of life pose" is a  bit awkward actually. The building is pretty charming in person but its not-so-pretty history makes me grimace at times. 


4. USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center -- why not?
It was the opening of the US Open when I happened to be in New York, so a mandatory pose with the iconic globe at the back is a must. I could have given this one a pass if it's not for the world-famous US Open. So, here's my "why not" pose!!! 


5. Jollibee -- Bee my maybe
This is the second branch of Jollibee to open in Manhattan but this one is in the touristy and world-famous Times Square. It opened a few weeks when I visited the Big Apple, so a photograph with the Bee is so "proof of life."   



6. Times Square -- Just a go with the flow one!
It is so-called as Times Square because the New York Times is the namesake as the latter was located there. It is best known as a jam-packed neon-lit public place where the New Year's eve countdown is being awaited. I even initially thought that it is Time Square given the time or clock being used to countdown through the New Year's eve. But even though I was in New York in September with no event of sort, the tourists flock at night, just to sit down and observe and enjoy the lights and noise. I could easily gave a pass on this one but, hey, a pose for posterity since I was already in the area won't hurt. Btw, the square looks different during the day, no crowding people.   


7. THE GRAND CENTRAL - worth it!
Everyone was busy catching his ride but I went in here to have a photograph of me. This charming gigantic building with nice glass windows and architectural domes has easily gotten into me. The vastness of the interior cooperated with my intentions. See, my busy background? But see my own space too? 
 

8. THE PHILIPPINE CONSULATE -- Of course.
Not every country has a consular office in Manhattan, New York City like us. This high-end strip is known for its lucrative rents and expensive spaces. But hey, we got our own. So, a photo of me from across the street from our Manhattan building is so worth the stop. I know, you will ask me to photograph some buildings which were formerly ours too but that is one heavy task for my next vacation walkathon. 


9. THE CHRYSLER BUILDING -- Lucky me!
Because I got to stay in a hotel near this pretty old and famous building, I needed to document it by having a photo of me in the roof top (23rd floor only). I get to enjoy Chrysler building up close as compared when I was just walking around Manhattan. This was one of the buildings used as a location in one old King Kong film. This and the Empire State building are wonderful to catch during the day walk and night walk. 


10. MADAME TUSSAUDS -- Giving in!
Since The Rock is situated outside the New York branch of this world-famous Museum of Wax, I gave in to pose with him when we passed by. I can happily and easily say 'pass" for this kind of museum but I must admit that my one pose tricked my nephews into believing that he was really the live version. Because of this posing, for my nephews, I really do rock!!!


11. STAIRS TO THE SUBWAY TRAINS -- Just to break the ice!
No need to explain. Filipinos would love to have subways too! So here's my photo to honor our collective wish!!!


12. MARIJUANA TRUCK -- by chance only. Sorry for this pic, guys!
I passed by this truck containing marijuana goodies and advertising itself that this truck can be hired to serve during an in-house or corporate party. Think like you are just hiring Mamang Sorbetero with his ice cream cart or the Pop corn and cotton candy guy with his colorful stand on your birthday party. Just for the novelty, I posed with this truck. Honestly, I wear mask all the time not so much for COVID precaution but because I am not sure if anybody is smoking pot on the streets as it is legal to do so in New York.


13. THE BULL -- Just went in for fun.
I thought I would only have 12 photos but I saw this last. I need to put this on the list because, people were lining up to have their turns in taking their photo with the Bull. I just posed outside the queue because I just couldn't imagine myself taking a photo of me under the Bull's balls. No kidding! Many were also queuing behind the bull. This Bull symbolizes the industry of Wallstreet.


I'm not sure if I still have a lot left but for now, these are my 13 proofs of life in New York. 

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*