Moroccan-spiced Lamb Chunks Stew



Next to my Gordon Ramsay-inspired Shepherd's Pie, I love this stew. In fact, this is in tie with the farmer as the winning lamb dish during the Episode 2 of our Cook Off. This time, I and my friend Noli had a sheep slaughtered and turned into our kitchen masterpieces. I wanted to replicate this dish, so I am posting it here as I intend to merge my beforesixdiet.blogspot.com here soon. Also, I lost my vegan pizza dough recipe which I memorized and perfected last year because I failed to post it on my blog. Mea Culpa. 

This stew has the fruity touch with a dash of chiliness. I just made my own chili paste using the available chili in our market though the real Harissa (see separate post) calls for certain kind of chili with mix of spices used to get that real Moroccan taste.     


Olive oil
2.5 kls Lamb chunks
4 red onions, chopped
1 head of garlic, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
2 T coriander seeds, ground
2 glasses white wine
50 ml Passata or Tomato Paste
1 liter Anchovy stock
1 Tsp safflower (since Saffron is rare here)
2 cinnamon barks
2 cans chickpeas
24 dried apricots
24 green olives
Harissa (See separate post)


In a casserole, add olive oil and brown the lamb chunks by batch so that it will have uniform color. Remove from fire and set aside in a separate dish.

In the same casserole, add more oil and saute the onions, garlic and ginger until translucent before adding the coriander seeds. Continue the heat until the aroma comes out.

Add wine then the tomato paste (or passata) and stir to combine before adding the browned lamb chunks. Add the safflower and cinnamon barks and let boil for 45 minutes.

Drain chickpeas and add to the lamb chunks together with the dried apricots and olives. Cook for another 30 minutes until meat is tender. Add the Harissa and let simmer for 15 minutes.

Serve with rice.



Photos by RJ Solidarios and MG Legita

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)