GOT my first run medal #bamcdekadarun



As if I really won an ASEAN gold for doing this, I decided to blog abut my recent run. My sisters enlisted me to join the #bamcdekadarun, a run raising fund for charity hosted by the Adventist Medical Center - Bacolod which is already on their 10th year. For their 10th, BAMC gave a finisher's medal to each runner of the 10k. This was my first medal on running, and I felt good finishing it. At first I thought I couldn't do it. Years ago, I joined this same run that kicked off in the capitol lagoon but that run was painful and slow for me though it was only a 5k run. I attribute my 10k run this time to 70 percent walk of course, and many hours of gardening and house cleaning, useful of course. 

One of the challenges for non runners like me who decided to run for the medal is how to march on. First, I ran with my sister and I advance myself a bit and on the last leg of the run, I lost her so that I continued and decided not to wait for her. 



So while I was jogging/walking (the run started at the New Government Center and the turning point was at the Sta Fe Resort and then back to the NGC), I was thinking of Murakami's memoir, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: A Memoir. I believe that during the walk, I agreed with the title of his book, that is, one really is thinking when one is running in a marathon. I liked the book and his reflections as well as his creative process in writing his books which fondly includes running.

But while running, I realized that concentration is the key. There is no other goal at the moment but to finish the run, and it can be pretty boring. My goal changes every 100m like I will run till the gas station, till that church, till past that truckload of sugarcane etc and if I don't want to get distracted by slow pace of the neighbors, I ran past them. At one point, I want to get past the girls with white socks, but they were gone from my sight in a jiffy. I changed my landmark again and I reached the turning point. 

After the turning point, I paced faster because the track is already sloping downhill but even so, it was tiring. When I lost my sister behind me, I decided not to wait for her. I decided to chase the lady in rainbow stripe shorts. Everyone wore the singlet and black shorts but she had that colorful shorts. I tried to catch up with her but eventually lost her and then the 21k runners went past me and I doubled my effort. 

Slow but sure to finish before 2 hours. My goal was to do it in 1.5 hrs. I did it in 1.50hrs and I am happy. I felt healthy and energized. Tv series robs me with 16 x 1.5hrs and leaves me mentally tired but this 2 hour run tired the body but made me mentally focused.

And while walking, I decided on the title of my next poem, To the Lady in stripe shorts... 

PS. On 30 Nov, I joined the 5k run for #RUNFORMINDANAO a fundraising headed by Don Salvador Memorial District Hospital in La Carlota City to help the recent earthquake victims. The #BAMCDEKADARUN was on the next day, 1st of December. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)