Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea and Roberts' We are our mother's daughters


Gift from the sea 
By Anne Morrow Lindbergh

We are our Mother's Daughters
By Cokie Roberts


What I liked about the Gift From the Sea is that it is a personal conversation between Lindbergh and the women of her times but then all the women from her time up to now can truly relate to her words of wisdom. It is not instructive but it surely is reflective on many things a woman can and could face during her lifetime. It is an unassuming conversation yet it is powerful. It is indeed a gift, for women who wanted to be everything to everybody at a time but then integrally an artist by heart who celebrates solitude. This book is timeless, and has something to say to a woman in whatever stage she may be in her life.

***

While reading this book, another favorite is summoned by my memory. I loved Cokie Roberts' We are our Mothers' Daughters because it is a modern run down of how women attained liberation. I can truly feel that the efforts of the women included in this book paid off when I myself became the woman that I am today, free to express myself, to pursue my profession, to have my own self-determination. I have read the first publication, and admittedly, I haven't read the revised and expanded edition I posted here but it remains in my collection. I gifted three women with this book (including the one I first read) and I will continue gifting this one to women I know.  
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)