Burying the typewriter : Childhood under the eye of the secret police

Burying the typewriter
Childhood under the eye of the secret police
By Carmen Bugan
Picaodor, 2012, 235 pages with appendices

I bought this book from Book Sale at a super steal price of ten pesos without any doubt that it would steal my heart. I am delighted that it did. Of course, the tag is secondary to why I picked this one up because the title lent mystery to it and so mainly, the title caught my attention. I love the visuals attachef to title which refers to a machine that is now buried dead by computers and cellphones as means of communication. And there is some kind of homage in the title to the freedom of expression. Of all defects of democracy I suffer because we are not human if our freedom is repressed. Then comes the secondary title which gives me a bird's eyevew that this book must be about childhood in times of repression of the freedom to express.

It turns out, Carmen Bugan mainly transported me to her childhood in Romania which has beauty in its community and traditions and flowers and trees, even birds. I love how her sweet innocence fill the pages seamlessly. There is pain and naivite when she talks about the passion and determined heart of her father for the country but she astonishingly make you see that they are all secondary to her pressing need to be a child.  She transported me to Romania by happily walking through a breezy field when in fact, tornado is just near the vicinity, given the political milieu at the time.

And what came to mind when I was reading was  Angela's Ashes, a memoir from a favorite Frank McCourt which tells of a painful suffering through wit and humor through the eyes of a child, that you will laugh and cry while reading.

How the author became a poet and writer can easily be gleaned from the fact that she found solace in many books -Romanian authors and the classics - she reads when freedom of movement was deprived from her and the fact that her mother is the first audience of her poems. 

Way before the author was born, her father was already an activist fighting for democratic rights in a communist society. When her father saw the injustice in the lack of food and electricity in communist Romania, instead of going with the flow, he does personal campaign to awaken the people to clamor. He bought two typewriters, one is tagged by the national security and used by the family -- author Carmen typing her early poems and her mother typing food inventories -- while the other which is untagged is buried in the yard after every use  by the author's parents to type campaign materials each night.
Present Romania should be privileged and proud to have a memoir like this to be out, and should thank the author Carmen Bugan who is a celebrated poet and a professor. 

As for us who grew up in a democratic society, let us be reminded not to give up defending human rights, or allow to wholly lose it like drops of water escaping from a full tub. Just because we bathe in waters of freedom, it does not mean it can't run dry one day if we don't pay attention.

         

Comments

  1. Excellent blog post. I absolutely appreciate this site.
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really no matter if someone doesn't know afterward its up to other people that they will help, so
    here it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long
    as I provide credit and sources back to your site?

    My website is in the exact same niche as
    yours and my visitors would genuinely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at
    this web page is truly good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello great blog! Does running a blog such as this require a massive amount work?

    I've absolutely no knowledge of coding but I was hoping to start my own blog in the
    near future. Anyways, if you have any ideas
    or techniques for new blog owners please share. I know
    this is off topic however I simply needed to ask. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its like you read my thoughts! You seem to grasp so much approximately
    this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something.
    I believe that you could do with some percent to pressure
    the message house a bit, however other than that, that is magnificent blog.
    An excellent read. I'll certainly be back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here.

    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter
    stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly
    the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have
    done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there! I could have sworn I've been to this web site
    before but after going through a few of the articles I realized it's new
    to me. Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I discovered it and I'll be book-marking it and checking
    back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled
    blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post.
    Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to to thank you for thiѕ excellent read!! I absolutely lovеd every lіttle bit of it.

    I haѵe got you book-marked to check out new stuff you post…

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and everything. But imagine if you added some great
    photos or videos to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content
    is excellent but with images and videos, this blog could certainly
    be one of the best in its niche. Fantastic blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your site.
    Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hello there, You have performed an incredible job.
    I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am confident they'll be benefited from this web site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are in fact enormous ideas in on the topic of blogging.
    You have touched some nice things here. Any
    way keep up wrinting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandmother loved the flowers she acquired.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)