Trinkets tell of my Philippine travels (Part 1 of 2)

 

It has been in my mind for quite some time now the fact that one day, I will be telling my readers about my travels through the necklaces and braceles I bought along the way. Here, I quickly run down some favorites. I divide the story into two, Philippines and outside the Philippines. This is the first of the two-part story. 

In 2015, I had a chance to observe four ordinary days of the Panay Bukidnon of Calinog, Iloilo. It was an immersion of sort. Nothing is extraordinary at face value unless one looks closely with one's heart. The community struggles to survive amidst the challenges of modernization. But I am happy that the tribe still try hard to preserve the culture like the Panubok or embroidery and it is still hand-made as opposed to all things made by machines and the easy entries of ukay-ukay. I bought a set of sash, bracelet, choker and arm band which at that time I am thinking of wearing as accent to my office clothes. And I am happy I did. Found a remarkable site called Haliya explaining the richness of stories behind each detail embroidered by the Panay Bukidnon.


***
 



Well, strictly, this is not from my travel but this is a pasalubong from my sister when she went to the Kalinga Province. I loved the cloth used as the necklace and the hanging trinkets are made of from PET bottles, I was told. This is classic and I was just dismayed that it did not come with a bracelet.

***



This charming bangle winked at me at the Lapu-lapu Shrine flea market in Cebu City because it is alone among many more kinds and it is big and white and made of shimmering pieces of square Capiz shells. It calls on me, saying, Own me, own me. So, I did. That Cebu travel was one of the last travels I made with my father who passed away in March 2016. He always laugh at me when I end up not buying anything after searching and haggling. He would jest, "If you won't buy that, try wearing the money instead. Let's see if you can."

 ***


  

In 2013, I had the grandest vacation in Palawan which spanned for twelve days minus the travel to and fro. I was with my parents who really enjoyed and got burned by the archipelagic sun. I really felt that we are a rich island in terms of natural resources when I got there. My group entered Coron, passed by El Nido, Tanay and Puerto Princesa. See my story in Sunstar here. The freshwater pearls abound  there and I regretted that I got only two of these bracelet and necklace pairs. They cost one-third of the price of those brands carried by the malls, I am sure of that. The black one I gifted to a dear friend who brought me as pasalubong from Cambodia two large Angkor Wat paintings.    

***

  

 We were in Davao's Philippine Eagle Center when my father spotted some Bob Marleyesque seller of these clay-made bracelet. The etchings are like cave drawings and they really look like forest-inspired. My father was amused of the craft and he bought me one. I still wear it from time to time though I have a hard time matching it given how polar apart it is with my clothing style. Still I love to look at it and remember the days of travelling with my father.

***



 This is a recent buy in Bantayan, Cebu (May 2018). Wearing this reminds me of the fishes in Virgin Island. I love the fish cut-out from the shell and the other one I was not able to photograph is a sting ray. This is so cute and it really caught my attention despite the fact that it is only 1/4 inch wide.

*** 


This bangle is  also a buy in Lapu-lapu City, Cebu together with the big white one. I wished there's a necklace to go with it. Months after, during the Pasalamat Festival, I bought necklaces made of squared Capiz Shells. I was not able to photograph the same but that somehow went with this one. 

***

 

I bought this one and two others at Lake Sebu from the Tiboli Tribe of South Cotabato. I want to buy the intricate ones with the bells on it but they cost a lot and they come in many pieces from head dress, chokers, earrings, bracelets, to ornate belts with chimes. Anklets are availbale too. I settled to this long necklace since I can really wear it on ordinary days at the office or while going around the mall. 


***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*