Finding my First Van Gogh (and surprisingly more) in The Solomon Guggenheim Museum

The Guggenheim Museum Building is a World Heritage. It has this beautiful unique shape built ahead of its time. 

When I checked the Museum featured arts in the web, I was afraid that I won't like it. The museum supports sensory poetry, abstract expressionism, experimental techniques, utilization of unique materials to achieve art. In short, I am hesitant as I think I won't like it.

The website says, "Sensory Poetics: Collecting Abstraction will bring together highlights from the Guggenheim Museum’s growing collection of contemporary art. Acquired over the past ten years, and shown at the museum for the first time, this selection of artworks reflects developments in painting, sculpture, and video from the 1960s to today that manifest in a turn towards gesture as a response to the constraint of Minimalism."

 Here are some of the pieces in installation by Cecilia Vicuña:


I can't appreciate indeed. 

Thanks for the Thanhausser collection housing pieces of Picasso, Monet, Manet, Degas, Rosseau and Van Gogh. I'm glad I saw the non-cubism painting of Picasso, joyous to behold Degas and hid ladies in tutus (to me, they glisten prettily), and pleased to see my first Van Gogh too. 

         Degas, my fave piece in The Gugg.
    A Vascily Kandinsky; I eventually liked his pieces before I reached the pinnacle of the spiral.
A Picasso, nice to see his non-cubism piece.
Almost abstract is this "Fourth of July" by Picasso but far from his popular brand of style called cubism
       My first real life experience of Van Gogh which I think I saw at the back of the Reader's Digest magazine back when I was enjoying the physical zine.

Personally, I dont like the spiraling traffic as people tend to distract one another. There is no intimate moment with the artwork and it is just like they crowd. I still prefer the room of works where I can commune with the art in front of me. Of course, the design of the building is just exquisitely astounding from the outside and inside. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*