First Stop of my Book Culture Trip: Strand (or outside Strand)


Dubbed as New York City's undisputed king of independent bookstore, Strand celebrated its 95th year in operation. This bookstore, which houses leatherbound book classics or otherwise aside from the contemporaries, also sells signed copies. Isn't that great?



The store's iconic 18-mile campaign is the line of second hand books sold for 1$ to 7$. Before I entered the store, I spent an hour browsing them. So, I guess that I did the 18-mile Strand challenge with a twist. My personal parameter was, I will not buy bulky hardbound books, I will find a gem. 


I can read in the postcards, posters, shirts this motto: Strand, where books are loved. I could feel the love indeed even before I went in. At the end of the 18 mile, there was a queue for those who want to sell their books. Inside, a store clerk would examine them and put valuation on it. Isn't that great?


Back to my mission of finding a gem. I took a photo of myself with the books or the book itself I wished I could carry home. Look, I have self-control here. I am so zen about it, really. Here are some of my wish snaps (Top 5 only), and oh, a few of my fave titles as I lovingly recalled my own books back home. 

Above photo is what I found first. THANKS, A scientific discourse on gratitude. That was when  inhale-exhale I did. Hardbound and pretty. Hope to see you someday, and thank you for reminding me to give thanks.

    I liked The Reader, so I must like this too! 

  Rescue talks about refugees and the political crisis of our time. This is an important thesis. I will check David Miliband on his TEDTALK. 

I loved Richard Paul Evans as I read his book featuring I think three Christmas stories, The Christmas Box. I can add this on my reading campaign among teens. Cute hardbound, hard to let go. 


Isn't this account as gripping as its title suggests? I wished I can take this baby home. Oh, those were five already? Here's the collage of my wish list! I want to buy Tuesdays with Murray and give away to friends. Not photographed but I also found Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, a favorite author of mine. I recalled that he was quoted saying after the 9/11 event that though he is in literature there are events that are just beyond word, that word is unnecessary or useless. I can feel the sorrow of 9/11 though I was just in the Philippines then. 

The unlucky ones!

And so, what did I bring home? Three tiny books. A book of poetry by Natasha Lopez for 3$, A  little book of reference on grammar for 1$ and a book for my creativity for 1$. They weigh less than 250grams I bet. 

   Check my insta on The lucky ones!

I just realized that I did fill this blog with what were outside. So, I'll make a separate blog on what's inside Strand. See you next post!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

Linabog nga Bisaya nga Manok