The Aswang Inquiry (A beautifully Illustrated book for Teens, or semi-adults)

The Aswang Inquiry
Frank Lynch S.J.
Illustration and Retelling
by Gilda Cordero-Fernando

Got this book because I liked the title. Also, the intent was to write a book for teens about Aswang because most of them read about dracula and Frankenstein but nothing about our very own. 

My Stars go first to the illustration as it is stunningly creative as Fernando depicted Aswang in an "Aswang wears Prada" way. 

As to the narrative, I can say that it's not comprehensive and kind of written from the desk of a school principal rather than from the desk of Sherlock Holmes. I think I can do better telling of Aswang incidents as I grew up with a lola and lolo from Antique, mingled with sakadas or sugarcane workers from Antique who worked in Negros when I was a kid and heard tales from my ancestors about tales when towns were still uninhabited by humans. I even accompanied someone "nga gina Kuno nga aswang" (rumored as Aswang) who went to Mindanao as she was seasick. Not vast experience but better than this retelling of a scholarly compilation.

Third, support #Anvilpublishing by buying books from them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)