The Sweetness at the bottom of the pie by Alan Bradley

The Sweetness at the bottom of the pie
A Flavia de Luce Mystery
By Alan Bradley 
2010 Softbound, 370 pages

I am so happy now that I am done with it that I decided to finally read the book after it laid resting on my shelf for a while. Though by now, you know that non-fic is not my cup of tea, so much more is the mystery crime thriller. I thought I got this book at the BIG BAD WOLF sale in Cebu City but I just realized after closing the back cover that I got it from Book Sale. I must have picked up the book because of the word pie or preview at the back about Flavia de Luce or the mention of stamp collection. As I started and went along the book (many interruptions in between, of course), I feel like I'm reading a coming-of-age book or I myself was transported to my elementary or high school self reading a book. It's a surprise that this is an adult crime mystery. I wish this is made into film too. It's a delight to do some sleuth work with our heroine Flavia Sabina de Luce, as she refers to herself sometimes. 

One delightful surprise is that the Author is a Canadian who never set foot in England except when he received his writing competition award. He was 70 by then. And this is his first novel. 

To date, he has written ten Flavia de Luce Mysteries (see titles abive, takrn from Wikipedia) and currently he is 83 or 84 years old. Isn't that inspiring for us to try writing too? 

Well, I might try another Flavia de Luce Mysterry if given another chance. It's a series surely with refreshing heroine who sports youthful passion and unflinching desire to finish any quest. 

Well, who wants the sweetness at the bottom of the pie? Reach for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)