Giving Much ado about this Ugly Citrus


       Wrinkly, big as head but lightweight, this Citrus sent many queries unanswered. First, what is the name of this citrus? How can we extract the juice? Can we make use of the peel? How about the leaves? When I was given this Citrus, I was so curious and at the same time very careful not to waste it. I posted in the gardening group I joined as a member and I got varied (and interesting) answers that got me more confused than clearer answer. Here are the answers given to me:
 
dito po sa  Japan
hindi cia kinakain ginagamit lang sa paligo at nilalagay sa langis  panghilot sa sakit ng katawan tawag dito Karin

Mahal po yan..skin lng yata pakinabangan.

Kaffir lime. You can use a shave off the zest (green parts lang, avoid the white parts as much as possible) and store in a glass jar with a little bit of oil and keep it in the ref. Good addition to sauteed shrimps, Tom yum, or even hot tea. Use sparingly, a little goes a long way.

Parang almalfi lemons pero green. Pwede po makahingi ng seeds??
kaffir lime yan. ingredient sa tong yum

Senior citrus

Balingkulong yan dito sa  amin..pambihira ng makita yan..ginagamit yan parang shampoo at conditioner..lalambot ang buhok..mabango pa...
 
Kaburaw sa ilokano

Cabuyao or Philippine kafir lime

 Sa Saudi tinatanggal lang balat tas nilalagyan nila ng sugar or salt kasama na ung parang sponge na puti masarap po.

Di po ba 'perres' ganun kasi tawag sa Vigan

Looks like Citron, commonly used for citron jelly.

Yan po yung ginagamit pang gawa ng blue curacao...

eto ang kaffir at maliit lang dahon ng kaffir hndi rn nalaki ng gnyan ang bunga ng kaffir


At any rate, I photographed the pulp and the white portion. So to satisfy my curiosity, I squeezed the juice and added it to my coconut juice. It tastes good. I cooked the soft white portion after removing the hard peel in sugar and water. It is soft and has this spongy texture like that of a ball growth inside a mature coconut we locally call "Buha." It's can be candied, I guess but I got mine more like a jam.
 

  
 
As for the peel, I scraped/shaved the green peel for the zest. I dehydrated it in my airfryer for 5 minutes under 160C and saved it in cap-tight bottle for possible use in the future. When pinched, it has a pleasant burst of citrus aroma but I am not sure what it was going to bring to my cooking later on after it was dried and stored. 
 
 
I was told by my neighbor who gifted this to me that the seed of this citrus came from Saudi. I believe that the comment "Sa Saudi tinatanggal lang balat tas nilalagyan nila ng sugar or salt kasama na ung parang sponge na puti masarap po." is more likely the answer to my query. In Saudi, they eat the white portion with sugar or salt. When I tried that, the white flrsh has no adverse flavor. It was just bland though.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*