Poached Spiced Apples

One morning I woke up on a message sent by Naomi, a friend from Germany who let me experience Vanilla for real years ago, sending me her photos on poached pears. I love pears, sweet fragrant pears. And I had been raring to do poached pears but I think the variety used for the recipe is not available here in the Philippines and so it remains in the backseat of my mind. I instantly thought of apples which abound on the market every December. So, I cooked Poached Apples having Naomi's message as inspo. Any wine will do.

16 peeled small apples
Orange juice, peel saved
2 cups Syrah
2 Cups white wine
2 Cups apple-cranberry juice
2 Cups sugar
Cinnamon powder/bark
Ginger powder
Star anise
Cardamom
Orange peel
Dash of salt

Peel apples and soak in orange juice to prevent browning. Set aside.

In a deep pot, put all the liquids and sugar and stir and it let boil, then simmer over low fire. 

Pound the spices in a mortar and pestle and add to the liquid plus the orange peel. Let the liquid reduce to a third, then add the apples. Make sure they submerge and cook till tender. Just move the apples from time to time for even cooking of sides. Cook over low fire until syrup is reduced to half and apples are tender and cooked through. 

Arrange apples in a serving dish. Strain the syrup with all the spices. Pour the liquid over the apples. Let cool and serve as dessert with vanilla ice cream or simply with sprinkled nuts. 

Let me share to you Naomi's inspo Poached Pears:

And lastly, Naomi informed that the apples should be scored and they have an apple scorer. She sent me the pic for me to be acquainted with it. I'm sharing it here too:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)