One Fine Saturday with the Panay Bukidnon




I was happy that I was able to spend time with the Panay Bukidnon in 2015. One of the good things I miss there is the Saturday school of children being taught chanting. Panay Bukidnon is known for their oral tradition and the Sugidanon or epic, among others. See of my blog posts on the Epic that was published by UP Press. 

Funded by NCCA as I learned later, Teacher Romulo “Amang Baoy” Caballero taught the children chanting and it was fun listening to them. Aside from the chnating of the epic, I heard them sang a folk song on domestic life that's both funny and tragic. I wished I can go back and enjoyed more.


 
 This is Teacher Romulo “Amang Baoy” Caballero who has a fine deep voice really in tune with chanting. He authors one of the books in the collection of epics published by UP Press Store.



These children are learning fast and with fun. They will continue the oral tradition of chanting. Surely, they are all grown up now. 


I wish them good cheers in their cultural preservation initiative despite the challenges they faced every day when their safety and survival is subject to many challenges. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*