Escabeche or Sweet and Sour Fish


This easy recipe is a favorite among Filipino households. I hope everyone knew this recipe or has tasted one in his lifetime. This nature-rich recipe reminds me of my 90s childhood. 

The escabeche I grew up with has the sharp spicyness of ginger and lots of tomatoes. Since I got ripe tomatoes and some ginger, I decided to make this delicious dish. I believe escabeche has the Spanish influence because of the name itself but this version is the way how my father cooked as I recall. This recipe is usually great for leftover fried fish but freshly fried fish is wonderful too.

Oil for frying
Fish

Onions
Tomatoes
Ginger
2 T  coco sugar
Water
2 T apple cider vinegar
Salt and Pepper



1. Clean and fry all fishes in oil. Set aside.
2. In a new pan, Saute onions and ginger using the excess oil in the pan used for frying the fish. Let cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, cook until saucy.
4. Dissolve coco sugar in a bowl. Add to the tomatoes. Then add the fishes. Let cook for a minute. Add vinegar, salt and pepper. 
5. Simmer until flavors combine. Remove from fire. Serve hot with rice. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*