Finding (surprising!) Picasso pieces at the MoMA and The Gugg


Picasso surprised me during my museum hopping in New York last year. I did not expect that I could see his works other than his famed cubism. The above Le Demoiselles D'Avignon is what everyone can easily recognize as Picasso. It was sure familiar but to see how big it is in person, I cannot now be duped by its cameo reference in Titanic movie where it was just held by hand by Rose. By the way, this use of picasso image in the movie was subject of  a suit. This work is very much associated to Picasso as the Girl in the Mirror.  These two works of Picasso may not be my personal favorites but I admire Picasso and his criticism of the society through his works. These two pieces can be found in MoMA or the Museum of the Modern Arts  and more. I found his other works in MoMA, Four Dancers and Woman plaiting her hair, both figure paintings, a pleasant find and a breather to his cubism style.

Rose admiring Le Demoiselles D'Avignon in the movie Titanic


Four Dancers  1925
Woman plaiting her hair 1906

Girl before a mirror  1932

***
Actually, this blog was inspired by an article I read about the recent legal claims on a Picasso called "Woman Ironing" housed in The Guggenheim Museum. This and the Fernande with black mantille are works under the blue period of Picasso's career. Picasso has painted for more than 50 years during his long fruitful life from 1881 to 1973. He had seen the turn of a millenium and experienced the painful world wars and their aftermath. Even his colorful cubism paintings (Guernica as his most famous work), and with his unexpected (at least for me!) blues, are made of sad message BUT very much worth every penny for anyone's thoughts while looking at them at present. 

Here, I am sharing the treasure troves I found in The Solomon Guggenheim Museum. Drop your thoughts!


The Gugg
The woman with yellow hair, 1931

          Fernande with a Black Mantilla 
           (Fernande à la mantille noire)
   
                  Woman ironing, 1904


                 Bastille Day, 1901





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*