DIY SPICE MIX: Curry, Cajun, Garam Masala plus Chinese Five-spice

Because of the pandemic, I didn't get to buy spices anytime I ran out. I bought my spices when I got the chance to buy some in the mall supermarkets with no particular menu in mind. I also side-buy some available spices whenever I buy cocosugar online to maximize the shipping and seize the opportunity. 

Just this new year of 2022, I inventoried my spices and made some mix already. This mix allows the other "cooks in the house" to use the spices without awaiting for me. Lo and behold, I got a lot that will last me a good six months to a year.

I use coriander seeds or anise palay/fennel seeds alone in barbecue as it is reminiscent of lamb skewers we had in the sidewalk of Hutong area in Beijing. The aroma left me a happy memory.

I also suggest keeping turmeric spice alobe for tea or coloring to soups, salad dressings, and fried rice. Cinnamon powder for sprinkling on your cookies, biscuits and fresh fruits. 

But it pays to jar some mixtures to save time. Blender or mortar and pestle will be you aid here if you have the whole seed. 

CAJUN SEASONING:
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Garlic
Onion
Black pepper
Crushed red pepper
Thyme
Oregano

Two parts Paprika, Cayenne pepper, Garlic and Onion and 1 part Black pepper, Crushed red pepper, Thyme, and Oregano

Uses: To add spicy kick to soup dishes. Sprinkle on friend fish and chicken and fries to lend some fire. 




GARAM MASALA
cumin
Coriander
Cardamom
Blackpepper
Cinnamon
Cloves
Nutmeg

Mix two parts cumin, Coriander, Cardamom
and Blackpepper and one part Cinnamon, Cloves, and Nutmeg

Check out my previous blog on this one:

For beef stews and beef soups, use Chinese Five Spice. Luckily, my friend gifted me the mixture which I still keep in my pantry. But I made mine years ago with equal parts of cinnamon powder, star anise, fennel seeds, black pepper, and cloves.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*