My version of Napa Kimchi or Baechu Kimchi



I had posted my gut-feel kimchi made of pechay in 2011 and another one in 2014 , times when korean chili is not yet available or should I say, back when there's no kdrama in Netflix yet (correct me if im wrong). But I just realized recently that I have never posted my napa kimchi when k chili pepper can already be bought in the local k store. 

Filipinos love to buro or fermenting with salt. My parents make buro nga iba (kamias fermented in salt) or tinabal (fish fermented in salt) or buro nga batwan (salted batwan or souring fruit). Ginamos nga hipon, (shrimp fermented in salt) is a constant in Filipino wetmarkets. Thus, I knew I can navigate making kimchi from scratch then. 

For my friend who wants to make her own kimchi, I dedicate this blog. Happy kimchi day at your kitchen. I'm letting a secret out: Add apple to achieve that delightful sourness.

Day 1
3 kilos Napa Cabbage
1 Cup salt

Day2
1 white onion, sliced vertically
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 medium radish, julienned
1 medium apple, grated
1 Cup chili (200g korean powdered chili)
Optional:
1T chili flakes
2T fish sauce
3T Chili-garlic paste 
3T Soybean paste 
1T brown sugar
Chives or spring onions

Day 1
Wash napa cabbage or what Filipinos call as chinese cabbage. Remove yellowing or rotting leaves. Remove excess water.

Divide salt as to number of cabbage head. Do not add more salt as this will make your cabbage salty. Massage each layer of leaves with salt. Repeat until all done. 

Leave covered till next day, 12 to 24 hours.

Day 2
Drain the cabbage with the liquid formed overnight. Slice cabbage to serving portion. 

Add all ingredients. Feel free to add or deduct ingredients listed except for the K chili, the important ingredient of kimchi. 

Transfer kimchi in glass jars or plastic containers. Do not use steel as acid can react with it. 

Refrigerate to slow down fermentation. The desired sourness happens after three days but it gets better after a month or two. 

Serve as side dish or additions to noodle soups.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*