A Mummy at The Met and more


I mentioned in my earlier blog that the other thing apart from French Painter Jacques-Louis David's The Death of Socrates painting, I gushed over the Egyptian relics.

Having seen a real mummy with intricate bandage, met a Sphinx and scrutinized a Mentuhotep statue in person gave me an inexplicable joy.


I read somewhere that The Met or the Metropolitan Museum of Art is one Museum that you have to go to if you have to choose one, and now, I agree.


The African Origin of Civilization with Egyptian Art in Gallery 136  Floor 1. But see more in Galleries 304, 376, 455, 550, 601, 681, 753, 828, 957, 964, Ground Floor, Floors 1 & 2. 

The mummy that gave real face to the mummies we just saw in movies. The fabric used is sturdy and the latticework in wrapping the body is intricate, not like it's just wrapped by a roll paper. 

Dutch masters were a real find too and I was lucky to have seen a Rembrandt and a Vermeer in real life. I have seen them only in pages, and I was happy to "see" them and marvel about their oldness.


TIPS:
On same day entrance to The Met, one can head to picturesque The Met Cloister in Fort Thryon. The bus M4 leading to it is just a block away crossing from The Met. And btw, if you're with a NY resident, you can come in as guest. The resident has to just give a donation. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*