More than a "One Fine Day" at Bantug Lake Ranch with Furry FriendS


It was January 2016 when we went to Bantug Lake Ranch in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines to have the photo shoot of a friend's pet dogs be taken. It was more memorable for me because the last time I had a pet dog was when I was in kindergarten. We lost the dog after she followed us and we did not take another pet after her. But when a cousin stayed with us, she had a spoiled dog whom she brings tootsie roll chocolates so that we hated the dog for the special treat that should have been allotted to us. We spanked the dog when my cousin is not around while the dog sneers at us all the time.  Enough with the flooding memories. In short, at the time of the shoot, it was a very comforting and exhilarating moment for me to get close to big dogs given that I don't ever trust their big mouths and fangs. Plus during that time, I was in distress and was thinking of my father who was diagnosed with cancer in November the past year.




***

That year, or about two months after this photo shoot and on an Ash Wednesday, my father passed away. This year is his third year anniversary. As you can see, I was devastated to lose him but also comforted by the fact that he did not suffer for a long a time. Every time I see these photos, I remember my father, all the goodness in him and all the pain he caused me by his utter neglect of his health. A friend commented that he could be considered as a perfect father had he not been an alcoholic, a disease he fought with in the last decade of his life. It was a battle I witnessed (and went through) through and through.  


***


 I thought I was alone in enjoying the serenity of the lake but I was wrong.

***


Forgive those not-so-pretty legs but please enjoy the pretty furry face.

***

Well, I am telling you this today because my father's birthday is coming up in a week's time and memories just keeps flooding involuntarily, especially when I saw the photos of these enormous pets and lakes, and I thought of the good friends who were sent to accompany me, to cheer me, to comfort me during those times. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*