Tikum Kadlum (First of the ten epics of Panay as told by the Panay Bukidnon of Calinog, Iloilo)



Tikum Kadlum is the first epic out of ten epics of Panay as told by the Panay Bukidnon of Calinog, Iloilo. This is my first read. There are ten (10) books all in all which are all interrelated. I believe each epic can be told independently of the others but the whole story can be appreciated if read according to the sequence of the series. Like when I finished Tikum Kadlum, another character Amburukay is introduced and thus, the book two is titled in her name.

The book is presented as a transcription of the chants as told/sang by GAMABA Federico Caballero and his sister Teresita Caballero-Castor in archaic Kinaray-a. In a table form, the archaic kinaray-a is then translated to contemporary kinaray-a, then Filipino, then English.

The single best accomplishment of this book is that it is a published documentation of the chant in archaic language. I am not sure if it can hold the interest of those who reads in Filipino or English because as for me, I appreciated the reading more because of the contemporary Kinaray-a. It also may have helped that I was able to witness how a chanting is performed during one Saturday at the School of the Living Tradition (SLT) in the Panay Bukidnon's community. I shall be sharing the video soon. 

Nevertheless, the books are really treasures in a chest which we should all be opening. I recommend that we buy one to support the future publication of the seven more books. I found some online site selling this book. But I got mine (Thanks to my cousin!) directly from UP. Visit

UP Press
UP Campos, Diliman, Quezon City
Tel. Nos. 925-3243; 926-6642
Email: press@up.edu.ph
Website: uppress.com.ph

The two other available books are Amburukay and Derikaryong Pada. Shall blog on the story of Tikum Kadlum as soon as I can finalize it! 

Happy Long Weekend...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)