Who has tasted Banawak or Susung Kalabaw?


Just when I thought that I have tasted all fruits found in this archipelago, I am again proven wrong. I have just tasted this exotic-looking fruit just found in Negros Island Region only now. Called "Banawak" locally here, it is also known as Susung Kalabaw which translates to Carabao's Teat and Torres Strait Scrambler. My sister brought this home because a farm woman ate it and so she ate one too. I was hesistant to follow and I made some online clicks to verify first whether it is safe to eat the same. 

***


Here are what I found out: After some research, this sour sweet hard-pitted fruit belongs to the specie Uvaria Rufa. No wonder that the smell of this fruit just as big as the Lanzones is familiar because it also belongs to the family of Atis or custard apple. After sampling this fruit, I must admit that there is nothing to rave about this fruit except for the fact that it is exotic-looking, not available in the mainstream but turns out to be also abundant in the Philippines. However, from what I have read, the economic value of this tree is in its wood being used as substitute to Rattan which is popular all over the country in making furniture. Another thing, this can be a good shrub/tree for reforestation purposes.

***


***


***

Photo credit: Gerolie M. Uy

***

For more grasp on how the tree/shrub looks like, here's a link to another blog.

Comments

  1. THIS FRUIT IS ALSO A MEDICINAL IT KILLS PANCREATIC CANCER CELLS

    BY SABAHPHILIPPINES@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)