Homemade Banana Vinegar

My one-month old banana vinegar is now sour to my liking. 

Just a month ago, we have overripe bananas with black peels already. I reminded my mom not to throw it away as I saw online that I can turn it into vinegar just by feeding the bacteria sugar and this bacteria will turn the mixture sour. Today, I strained the pulp and had a 750ml banana vinegar. 

While straining the liquid to separate from the pulps, I observed a whitish jelly-like subsyance. This must be the "mother" as we ofter see in the label of apple cider vinegars.

I returned the mother with the pulp so that the bacteria shall continue breaking down more pulps. 

INGREDIENTS
Banana pulps
1 cup distilled or spring water for every cup of pulp
1 tbsp brown sugar for every 2 cups of pulp
Glass jar
Cloth or unused facemask to cover jar mouth

HOW TO
Mash the banana pulp.
Add water and brown sugar. Mix well and cover lid with facemask.
Every day, stir the mixture using wooden spoon to avoid molds forming in the outer layer. 
Add 1 tablespoon sugar weekly  to feed the bacteria. 
Place in a room, not necessarily dark room. 
After a month, harvest the vinegar by straining the liquid. 

Tip: Save "the mother" for the continued fermentation of next batch or add in the vinegar container. 
The mother


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)

The Legend of Isla Gigantes in Carles, Iloilo*