The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People






I read this book in 1992 when I was in college trying to break-free from home, seeking independence and understand the love-hate relationship with my parents. I know this book had taught me something important that changed the way I look at things although I could not define it now.


But what I can recall right now is that, after reading this book, I was a changed person. I learned to be responsible over my circumstances and was determined to influence other people around me with good values rather that be affected of the negativity in other people.


The book I read was a mere photocopy and just borrowed from a housemate, and now it is so amazing that there is a version for teens that came out as well as the 8th habit as sequel to this book.


I remember the book, and though I don't remember the exact contents, I dearly hold the memory of its influence. I know I was empowered by this book or by the realizations I had while reading this book. Whichever way, i know it led the way for me to forgive and take responsibility over becoming the person i want to be. Maybe I can't remember anymore because it became my habit to be a positive and "influential" person.


*** *** ***
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, first published in 1989, is a self-help book written by Stephen R. Covey. It has sold over 15 million copies in 38 languages since first publication, which was marked by the release of a 15th anniversary edition in 2004. Covey presents an approach to being effective in attaining goals by aligning oneself to what he calls "true north" principles of a character ethic that he presents as universal and timeless.


The Seven Habits

Each chapter is dedicated to one of the habits, which are represented by the following imperatives: The First Three Habits surround moving from dependence to independence (i.e. self mastery)


Habit 1: Be Proactive
Synopsis: Taking initiative in life by realizing your decisions (and how they align with life's principles) are the primary determining factor for effectiveness in your life. Taking responsibility for your choices and the subsequent consequences that follow.

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
Synopsis: Self-discover and clarify your deeply important character values and life goals. Envision the ideal characteristics for each of your various roles and relationships in life.

Habit 3: Put First Things First
Synopsis: Planning, prioritizing, and executing your week's tasks based on importance rather than urgency. Evaluating if your efforts exemplify your desired character values, propel you towards goals, and enrich the roles and relationships elaborated in Habit 2.

The next three have to do with Interdependence (i.e. working with others)
Habit 4: Think Win-Win
Synopsis: Genuinely striving for mutually beneficial solutions or agreements in your relationships. Valuing and respecting people by understanding a "win" for all is ultimately a better long-term resolution than if only one person in the situation had gotten his way.

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, then to be understood
Synopsis: Using empathetic listening to be genuinely influenced by a person, which compels them to reciprocate the listening and take an open mind to being influenced by you. This creates an atmosphere of caring, respect, and positive problem solving.

Habit 6: Synergize
Synopsis: Combining the strengths of people through positive teamwork, so as to achieve goals no one person could have done alone. How to yield the most prolific performance out of a group of people through encouraging meaningful contribution, and modeling inspirational and supportive leadership.
The Last habit relates to self-rejuvenation;

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
Synopsis: The balancing and renewal of your resources, energy, and health to create a sustainable long-term effective lifestyle.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People
copyright to photo reverts to owner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)