Fire: The 100 Most Influential Women of All Time


The 100 Most Influential Women of All Time: A Ranking Past and Present
By Deborah G. Felder
Citadel Press
2001 Edition

Who does not love lists? I do love them. 
Who does not love women? I adore them. 
Who does not love history? Okay, I just like them.

Getting through a list of 100 influential women in history is a good window to start a deeper relationship with the women that paved way to our liberation in the societal structure today. After reading some entries, I think of them as my mothers and nurturers and at the same time, female and feminist (if there is any difference) revolutionaries....    

There are entries that I do not strongly feel of course, just like when the mythical (since no historical account on her life except for some sporadic and some confusing mention of her in the Bible) image of The Virgin Mary the mother of Jesus Christ was included. But since the argument it will take on is on the "influence," I kind of accept it anyway.

I enjoyed the entries on Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. I read the Story of My Life but cannot recall that Helen Keller was married to John Macy (Of course because she wrote the autobiography when she was married). Also, I learned that Anne Sullivan was almost blind herself and the tandem welcomed another woman in their life, Polly Thompson. The tandem ranked 18 and 19 in the list.

I love the entries on Marie Curie, her passion and her passion shared with her husband. She is second on the list.

I read a biography of Florence Nightingale but I get no new particular details on the entry about her. She is 22nd on the list. 

Since I did not read them in particular order and actually has not read all the 100 entries, I got a good glimpse on artists Frida Kahlo and Georgia O'Keefe, writer/poet Jane Austen and Sappho, female revolutionaries Harriet Tubman and Rosa Sparks.

There are a lot on the list yet to be devoured like Aung san Suu Kyi, Gloria Steneim (I wonder why I did not read this first when )

Still reading....................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you still remember how Sarali or Sirali taste?

Is this a Philippine Wisteria?

TIKUM KADLUM (The Enchanted Dog, The First of the Ten Epics of Panay Bukidnon)